What time does school start and end?
|School level||Students arrive||Classes begin||Students dismiss|
Which door will my child use for entry and dismissal?
|Kindergarten||Lancaster Avenue on parking lot side of building|
|1st grade||Broad Street (Hillside Entrance)|
|2nd grade||Broad Street (Hillside Entrance)|
|3rd grade||Main Entrance Left side door on parking lot side|
|4th grade||Main Entrance Left side door on parking lot side|
|5th grade||Main Entrance|
|Middle School||Walkers use main entrance. Bus students use breakfast door (Lancaster Ave. near Broad St side of building)|
What are school hours on district half-days?
On half-days Ed Smith school ends at 10:50 am. For 2019-2020, there is one district half-day on Friday December 13.
Does being a K-8 school mean that elementary and middle school aged students are mixed during lunches and other activities?
The answer is sometimes!
Mostly, the school holds separate events for the middle and elementary schools including assemblies, concerts, and age-appropriate activities (ie-Middle School Dances, Elementary Fall Parade). 7th and 8th grade lunch periods are not combined with elementary school and the building has a middle school wing for 7th and 8th grade classrooms.
When there are larger events and all grades are together, such as the Great Ed Smith Carnival, the true spirit of Ed Smith is clear, as the middle school students volunteer to set up and run booths. There are also several buddy days throughout the year where middle school grades are paired up with elementary classrooms to visit, read and do other projects together.
Is before or after school care available?
Free programs (subject to availability, application or registration required):
- Syracuse City Department of Parks, Recreation, and Youth After-School Program: Available for students aged 7-15 who are enrolled at Ed Smith; runs the entire school year. Limited space, and advanced registration required for this program.
No transportation is provided. Parks and Rec Centers are located across the city and all Ed Smith students age 7-15 are eligible to attend centers close to their home or at Ed Smith.
- 21st Century Morning Program: Available for students in grades K-8, October 15-May 31, Monday-Friday from 7:30-9am.
Transportation is NOT provided. Students must be enrolled and attending the After-School Program to be eligible for the Morning Program. Available for students in grades K-8.
- 21st Century Afterschool Program: Available for students in grades K-8, October 21-May 20, Monday-Thursday from 3-5pm.
Transportation IS provided. Available for students in grades K-8.
The JCC and RECC listed are paid programs that provide before and after school care and include transportation from Ed Smith to and from their site. (JCC is after-school only):
- JCC (Jewish Community Center) offers after-school care for K-students 6 until 6pm. For more info call 315-445-2360 or visit jccsyr.org.
- RECC (Rothschild Early Childhood Center) offers before school (beginning at 6:30am) and after school (ending at 5:40pm) programs for K-12 students.
The after-school program registration for next school year starts in March, and RECC recommends applying earlier rather than later in order to guarantee a spot. For more info call 315-445-0049 or visit rothschildearlychildhoodcenter.org.
Is transportation provided to and from school?
District busing is provided if your child resides more than 1 mile away from the school. For more information please contact SCSDs transportation department at 315-435-4260.